The United Macedonian Diaspora (UMD) is a leading international non-governmental organization promoting the interests and needs of Macedonians and Macedonian communities worldwide.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., UMD has built a formidable operations network throughout the U.S., Australia, Canada, and Europe, with membership spanning six continents.
UMD Policy on Macedonia Name Dispute
UMD’s long-standing position since being founded in 2004 has been its unwavering support for retention of the one and only constitutional and rightful name of Macedonia, rejecting all attempts to change or impose any other name upon Macedonia and the Macedonian people, and calling upon the Macedonian government to cease the ongoing UN negotiations and to submit a resolution before the UN General Assembly and Security Council to be re-admitted to the UN under its one and only constitutional and rightful name of Macedonia. Click HERE for more information.
- Safeguarding the rights of Macedonians around the world
- Unifying the Macedonian Diaspora
- Collaborating with the greater international community by promoting universal ideals of peace, freedom, self-determination, equality, and justice
- Promoting the ethnic Macedonian ethnic heritage and identity
- Preserving Macedonian traditions via educational, social, and charitable programs
- Supporting the Republic of Macedonia's constitutional and rightful name
- Defending the Macedonian ethnic and national identity internationally
- Safeguarding the human rights of Macedonians everywhere
- Improving bilateral relations between Macedonia and the nations in which UMD operates
- Supporting the Republic of Macedonia’s membership in regional and international organizations, such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the European Union
UMD recognizes that the success and well-being of Macedonian communities worldwide is essential for the success and well-being of Macedonia.
UMD's efforts are undertaken by professional staff, interns and volunteers, and coordinated from its international headquarters in Washington, D.C. along with regional offices and representatives serving Macedonian communities in: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Russia, the United Kingdom, the United States and elsewhere.